Southwest Jiaotong University (SWJTU) was founded at Shanhaiguan in 1896, named then Imperial Chinese Railway College. It is one of the oldest universities in China majoring in engineering. In 1905, it was moved to Tangshan, Hebei Province, and was renamed Tangshan Jiaotong University, Tangshan Railway Institute, and so on. In 1972, the university was removed to Emei, Sichuan province, and began to use its present name----Southwest Jiaotong University. In 1989, it was moved to Chengdu, and in 2002, the construction of a new campus covering an area of over 3,000 acres was started in Chengdu. With this, a new pattern of “one university, in two places, with three campuses” is coming into being.
Currently, the university has 18 schools, 3 departments and 2 divisions, with more than 38000 students, teachers and staff over 3900, which includes about 1800 full-time teachers, 1000 professors and associate professors, 3 CAS academicians and 2 CAE academicians. In addition, there are also 29 academicians from CAS and CAE who serve as part-time professors at the university’s invitation. ..View more