About us

Intl Students
985 211
Get JW202
Get result

FAQ in Visa, Residence Permit, Insurance for Study in Shanghai


1. What is the procedure for re-entry visa or visa extension?
If you do not have the residence card and want to return to your home country or travel to a third country during your study at the school, you need to apply for a re-entry visa in advance to be able to enter China again. If you want to continue your study in China after the expiry of your visa, you should apply for a visa extension.
If you want to apply for a re-entry visa or a visa extension you should go to the Office of Enrollment of the School of International Education at least 15 days in advance with your passport and residence card for a testimonial.
You should present the testimonial together with your passport and residence card to the Office of Foreigners' Entry and Exit Administration (Visa Office) of the Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau for the relevant procedures.
Addresses of the Visa Office are as follows:
No.1500, Min Sheng Road, Pudong New Area
Tel: 0086 21 68541199
Working time: Monday to Saturday 9:00-16:30
Buses: Take Xujiahui Station of Metro Line I to People's Square Station and Transfer to Metro Line II to Shanghai Science and Technology Museum Station.
Visa Center, division of Aliens & Exit-Entry Administration
Shanghai Public Security Bureau (Changning), 788 Gu Bei Road
Tel: 0086 21 62193808
Working hours: Monday through Saturday: 8:30-16:30
Buses: take bus line 911 at the No.3 Gate of Shanghai Jiao Tong University to Gubei Road
Shanghai Sanitation and Quarantine Bureau
Address: No.15, Jin Bang Road (Former No.1701, Ha Mi Road )
Book Hotline: 0086 21 62688851
Business hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 -10:30
2. How to apply for the Residence Permit?
According to the Chinese Law, international students who study in a Chinese university or college for a period of over 180 days should apply for a “Residence Permit for Foreigners”.
At the registration of each semester, the school will apply on your behalf for the first “Residence Permit for Foreigners”, but you should provide the following:
2 passport-sized photos;
Certificate of Physical Examination ( Confirmed by Shanghai Sanitation and Quarantine Bureau ) ;
If you live off-campus, you should also provide “Registration Form for Temporary Residence” which you have filled out when registered with the local police station.
You must pay a fee for the application of the card.
3. How to apply for the insurance?
International students who are studying at Shanghai Jiao Tong University should carry insurance.
If you have already bought international insurance in your home country, please submit a photocopy of the relevant documents to the school for a record;
If you have not bought international insurance in your home country, the school will provide insurance at the registration. The insurance premium will be supported by the students.
Tel: 0086 21 28210733

Welcome to study at Shanghai Jiao Tong University(上海交通大学)